Survey Reveals Formula Used by Millionaires to Make Their Fortunes
First of all, they start in a different place. They don’t go looking for a business or proposition that is guaranteed to make money or that has potential to make money. They start by asking themselves, “what do I enjoy doing, what do I love and what completely absorbs my attention?”
Their Aim is Flow
What they are looking for is an opportunity to work in a state that the Hungarian American psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi calls “Flow”.
“Flow” is completely focused motivation. It is single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate in harnessing the emotions in the service of performing and learning. In “flow” the emotions are not just contained and channeled, but positive, energised, and aligned with the task at hand. Professor Csíkszentmihályi has carried out studies on thousands of individuals in his search to understand and describe how the state of “flow” enables so many high achievers to reach their goals.
Flow has a strong, documented correlation with performance enhancement. And this is why millionaires, top sports people and others who are high achievers find “flow” so valuable – it enables them to focus all of their energies in a laser-like way on achieving their objectives. Furthermore it allows them to do this with enjoyment.
What The Survey Reveals
Millionaires behave in this way:
- They find what they love to do and they then do what they love doing. This gives them a strong sense of purpose. It gives their life meaning. It’s not the money they’re after, but the pure enjoyment of doing what they love. The money comes as a result of their sense of purpose. Their happiness is in the doing, not in the result.
- They work with a clear vision of the outcome they want. They work to their own goals, not someone else’s. They concentrate on one task at a time.
- They have rituals that they follow in their work. They enjoy their rituals and they use them to get into the state of “flow”. These rituals enable them to be very disciplined. They are happy in their work because they spend so much time in the state of “flow”.
How to Get Into the State of Flow
- Know what to do
- Know how to do it
- Know how well you are doing
- Notice the challenges
- Know what skills you need or where to get them
- Be free from distractions
(Source: DePaul University)
Your Next Step
You need to discover what you love doing. Then you can enjoy being in the state of “flow” and devote all of your energies to what you’re passionate about. This is the essential first step that all high achievers take. It will lead you to your Big Idea – the personal, unique vision on which you can then focus with full attention. A good way to start is to attend one of my regular workshops that are designed to enable you to Discover Your Passion.